What's your favorite Tube Mech mod & why?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Noe, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

For me, it's the Stingray X.
    I can't speak for the Original as I have a clone version, with a single 18650 tube(there are versions that have 18650, 18500 & 18350 tube sets, the single tube has lower volt drop & IMO is better) but this is the best mech mod I have owned or used.

Reasons:
    1. Copper inner tube & switch contacts for minimal volt drop.
    2. Stainless Steel outer tube for durability.
    3. SS outer tube also good for not getting smelly hands like copper or brass mods will cause.
    4. Hybrid mode adapter included in the box.
    5. Drip Tip is very comfortable on the lips.
    6. All threads are nice, no crunchy threads.
    7. Almost the shortest 18650 mech mod, few are shorter & then only by 1 or 2 mm.
    8. The switch (after addition of a 3rd magnet) has a perfect short throw & never misfires.
    9. It looks & feels good.

The one problem with the Stingray X clone I got was the switch was too soft, the magnets used are not strong enough & it would auto-fire if the locking ring wasn't engaged, with a heavy atty on top of it.
    That is obviously not ideal & can cause battery problems like venting & overheating.
    To fix that problem I first looked for magnets of the same size & came up with nothing, so instead I bought a spare switch replacement.
    I then took 1 of the magnets out of the new switch & placed it into the old switch, so instead of 2 there are now 3 magnets, 2 one side 1 the other.
    This made the throw shorter (approx 2mm) & give it the right amount of needed strength, so that it can sit without the locking ring engaged on a table with the heaviest of atties attached & never autofire.

Danyel and Aussie like this.
  2. Angela

Angela Admin

The Valkyrie, because it's gorgeous. The only problem is, every single one I own has problems with the bottom button. Even the minis. Which goes to show you how much I love them - even though I can't use them, they're still my faves.

3. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Member

for a tube mod I like the SMPL.

It's that mod Noe was talking about that's shorter than his stingray huehuehue. The only shorter mod as far as I know is the genuine 4nine which is 49mm long in 18350 mode. (clones are 3mm longer I think)

The SMPL is tiny, the button is recessed and the spring is stiff so you can't autofire it by putting it down or otherwise forgetting to lock it. The top is just a hole, like a built in hybrid adapter, so you get the positive pin on the atty touching the positive terminal directly, and the construction is two pieces. You have your button, and you have your tube. No top caps or floating pins or telescopic tubes or shit like that.

Also comes in a variety of flavors. I have a copper and a black plated brass.

The only negative is if you get a shitty clone the button might be crunchy, and as the button is recessed you have to do the claw when you vape which is uncomfortable for lots of people.

4. Noe

Which is another reason I prefer the SRX, no claw finger, just a straight press.

5. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Haven't held a Mech for a while, but my favorite is my Roller. I like the top button that is smooth as butter, and it's telescopic so it can take any battery without having to search for tube sections.

6. Aussie

Aussie Senior Member

Thanks Noe, just ordered one from Focalecig. I havn't purchased a mech mod for so long lol
    I'm looking forward to this arriving. Looks really nice. The exchange rate isn't so great though.

Noe likes this.
  7. Noe

I hope they had spare switches & you ordered one of those to go with it, it never hurts to have spares, even if you get good strong magnets in yours.

Aussie likes this.
  8. Noe

Otherwise FT has spare switches, just search Stingray X switch.

Aussie likes this.
  9. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

The Slug, if it counts as a tube, otherwise SMPL
    Why? vanity, they're soooo purdy

10. DogMan

DogMan Butler

haven't used many tubes. sigelei are probably best bang for the buck in non clones

i have a nemesis clone coming [might be in the letterbox, didn't check it today] to check out semi newer tanks, which i don't own anything to run them on atm

11. Aussie

Aussie Senior Member

I have a few spare magnets, not sure if they will fit though. Will have a look on Fasttech. Thanks Noe.

12. Pufnstuf

Pufnstuf Carto Connoisseur

When you are sick of just looking at the mini you can sell it to me. :)

My favorite tube mech is a GP Paps V3 (18350) in stainless. It is a great looking mod and the little things like the G pin and a brilliant switch just make it a great thing to use.

Northerner likes this.
  13. Angela

Angela Admin

I have 3 minis. If you can fix them all I'll give you one. I've watched the videos, sanded and polished the contacts. They work for a day and start misfiring or getting hot buttons.

Really I'd be over the moon with just one mini that doesn't keep dying on me.

14. Pufnstuf

Pufnstuf Carto Connoisseur

They are a mechanical device and one of the reasons I love mech's so much is I can fix them even if I have resort to redesigning and making new parts I am able to do it. :)

Let me do some research about the problems with them and I will find a way to fix them for you.

Browny, Noe, DogMan and 1 other person like this.
  15. Angela

Angela Admin

I'm quite serious. If you can fix them and make them stay fixed, you can have one. I don't need 3.

16. DogMan

DogMan Butler

you're a good egg

Pufnstuf likes this.
  17. Noe

The SRX switch magnet isn't a common size & its a finnicky fit, best to get the switch for the few $ it costs it'll save headaches.

Aussie likes this.
  18. DogMan

DogMan Butler

i think fatdaddy sell the magnets

Aussie likes this.
  19. Noe

Magnet + shipping probably costs more than switch + free shipping. Just a educated guess.

DogMan likes this.
  20. DogMan

DogMan Butler

probably, his shipping is only a couple of bucks for small stuff. even then the ft epacket is prolly the cheaper option