When to change your coil?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fozz3d, Aug 4, 2015.

1. fozz3d

fozz3d New Member

Yes, this is sort of a n00bie question.....but I'd thought putting it out here for everyone else.

I'm running with 3 Subtank Mini's with 0.5 ohm coils.

I, on average, go through a tank of juice a day.

Just over a week of use, sometimes 10 days, I get a hit like your sucking on heated up stainless steel (Is that known as a "dry hit"?) once in a while, even with the tank full, half empty etc.

I always think the coil is used up and change it. With that yucky stainless steel hit, to me, thats always a good indication to change to coil.

Am I right?

Thoughts?

xusia likes this.
  2. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I haven't had this problem but it could be a dry hit. Were you chain vaping when it happened did you notice? I change my coils if they taste burnt, when the flavour is muted or if I am changing flavours and just feel like it. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you.

3. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Sorry - I cannot comment directly about your subtank coil use - I'm still on my original coil with my infrequently used subtank.

But a sudden bad hit like that doesn't really sound like a dying coil to me - more like the wick has been starved of juice (for whatever reason) resulting in the wick burning when the coil is heated - a "dry hit". Yep - it is bad.

Obviously, once the wick is burned (being cotton) it's cactus and the coil will need to be changed. But if you could identify the cause of the drying wick you could prevent that dry hit and extend the life of your coils. As Moonbeam above suggests - it might be chain vaping, or too thick a liquid and cold temps slowing down juice wicking for example.

Normally coils slowly gum up and gradually, over time, lose or change flavour and vapor production reduces. Eventually, once the vapor or flavour fall off too much it is time to change the coil.

Hopefully someone who knows Sub-tanks can chime in..... :)

Jennifer and Judith like this.
  4. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

It doesn't sound like an old coil problem? As Moombean said, if the coil is old and clogged you usually get a gradual lessening of flavour and vapour. You feel like you need to turn up the power. Sometimes, if it's really dirty, you get a funky, slighty burnt taste but not a metallic taste because the coil will be gunked up with sticky burnt stuff.

What you described does sound like a dry hit; not enough juice to the coil. If you take a big drag on it without firing the battery it should solve the problem. Or even doing that more gently while covering the air hole.

Noe and DaveJ like this.
  5. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Are you using clear juices, or darker ones. Darker, dessert ones will gunk up your coils quicker. I only get a few days out of mine.

6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I found 2 weeks is about the limit for a ST mini coil, using a tank of juice per day.
    The cotton eventually gets "clogged" with what I think of as "caramel" build up, its not really burnt gunk but it is black.
    This happens on all devices that use cotton coils.

It may be possible to bring a coil back to life using an ultrasonic cleaner, how good this method will work I have no idea, it probably won't bring it back to "as new" but it should work at least partially.
    However I have not bothered to try this, I simply just binned the old coils.

7. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I've tried it on normal Kanger dual coils, it doesn't work. They still taste funky, even worse than they did.

Bin them I say. At least in the old days you could dry burn coils and bring them back to new...they all seem to be totally enclosed now.

8. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I was going to try an ultrasonic cleaner and got as far as throwing them in the cleaner but haven't plugged it in yet.. I will do it tomorrow and report back sometime. It is weird cotton so I would give it a few days to dry.

Noe and DaveJ like this.
  9. Noe

The dry hit theory sounds good to me but is probably a symptom of the coil being clogged, since it happens regularly at over a week of use.
    As the cotton gets clogged it is less efficient at feeding juice to the coil, thus a dry hit is possible.
    This could be countered by reducing the air flow via the AFC, that will help create more vacuum to pull more juice through & compensate a little for the clogged cotton.

DaveJ and Jennifer like this.
  10. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I had a flash of brilliance and wrapped the coils in a flannel and put them on top of my oil heater....dry as a bone in no time. :)

Judith likes this.
  11. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

There you go, the expert speaks! Thanks Noe. :)

Noe and DaveJ like this.
  12. Noe

Maybe that's where the funky taste came from? :p

Jennifer likes this.