1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Thoughts... On Smoking and Smokers

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by DogMan, Sep 26, 2017.

1. DogMan

DogMan Yes

i am pretty much eternally surprised how some vapers view smokers like leppers

former smokers were always really annoying as a smoker to me, whether they push their success with NRT, candy, champix, cold turkey, or whatever

i live with a smoker, she smokes inside. I sometimes find myself gravitating nearer to get a good whiff

so what's *your* view?

Rayjay, Noe, margyb and 3 others like this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

They are just normal people but usually a lot more fun than abstainers.

I remember when trains had smoking carriages and those were like a party compared to the church like boredom of non smoking carriages.

Yep- I usually prefer them but I don't really like many people that much anyway:)

Rayjay, Noe, margyb and 4 others like this.
  3. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

It really doesn't bother me if someone smokes near me or around me
    i just see it as thats there choice, this is mine
    But all ways offer a vape in place of a cig if they want one, as ive allways got a spear on hand ready to go
    Hubby still smokes but trying hard to switch still
    still love the smell of fresh tobacco and cig smoke dosent bother me
    My friend who visits smokes as well and i find my self rolling her smokes for her most of the time while she is here, as she's really not good at it:p

Rayjay, margyb and DogMan like this.
  4. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I dont really care, apart from if its someone I like and worrying for their Health but its their life and their choice to make.
    I still love the smell of a rollie but not too fond of the smell of tailor mades but I never did like them.
    The restrictions put on smokers ( and now vapers) are very unfair imo.

Rayjay, RC., margyb and 2 others like this.
  5. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

I've been known to spend considerable time with smokers. They bother me little, as I too was once part of that clan. On rare occasions, three times over the past 4 years, I've enjoyed a puff on a ciggie but never am I tempted to return to the dark side.

Never belittle those that smoke is my motto. I will say though that many reformers are a pain in the ass. Can't stand these so-called do-gooders who give up the booze, fatty foods, smokes and or diet freaks who ramble on and on about how one should live. Sorry, can't seem to articulate today but you get my drift. And these damn health freaks who jog everywhere simply because they're not getting any. (Heard that somewhere and recall laughing at it)

Do what you will, besides, smokers are major contributors to the pie that we all survive on. Otherwise known as the federal budget.

We owe much to smokers and smoking. We would not have Mods if it were not for this, right? We would, however, have healthier bank balances!

RC., Noe, margyb and 3 others like this.
  6. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

And these damn health freaks who jog everywhere simply because they're not getting any

Thats the most funny thing ive heard today :rofl:

I allways look at those people and think dam, i wish i had that much time on my hands, you must have to be bord a hell to find running fun
    Im lucky if i get a chance to brush my hair some times :D

Rayjay, RC., margyb and 3 others like this.
  7. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

Got a laugh out of that too
    My 40 yr old daughter and son in law wear fitbits ( like watches, but count your steps)
    They are always worrying if they have done enough steps for the day and competing with each other
    Easy to see they don’t have kids :)

Rayjay and Wanda like this.
  8. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

@Flea is joining the ranks of the Fitbit brigade, he even purchased shares in Kellogs just to get a free Fitbit :rofl:

Back on topic, I live with a smoker, my wife. I have vaped for nearly 7yrs & she has been witness to this but continues to smoke. I have tried a few times to get her to switch but she is not interested, I wish she would because she would see a dramatic improvement of her health (she has asthma, wakes up coughing for 30mins each day etc) but it's her choice, I don't push her to vape.
    I greatly dislike the smell of smoke though & even before I became a vaper, we did not smoke in the house, so she still goes outside to smoke thankfully, while I vape inside :D

I don't like entering smoke filled rooms but I can sit outside with smokers, I'm never tempted to "have just one puff", unless I am very drunk then I sometimes have & regretted it instantly. However, I will stand away from smoking areas, I don't like staning in a smoke haze & often move just to avoid "side swipes", I sometimes feel sick from the smell of just a little second hand smoke now.

9. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Very true No eee, your a mine of info.

I intend to use my fit- bit so I can count less steps each day.
    I'll wear it around my ankle, just above the anklet the police put there.

I think it will look smart, just like me. :p

Noe and Wanda like this.
  10. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I will always remember being shunned like a leper when I smoked and will never reciprocate that. I am certainly not proud of the fact that I smoked for over 30 years and can recall what it felt like. Truth is if I hadn't found vaping I'm positive I'd still be smoking.
    In other words smokers are everyday people leading everyday lives who unfortunately don't want to or can't break the habit.
    Every person deserves respect.

Personally I don't mind the smell of someone smoking but can now smell it from a good distance away. I'm glad to say that I'm not enticed in the slightest to " just have one" and find it very easy to say no thanks if one is offered to me. In fact I use that opportunity to interject vaping properly into any conversation I'm having. What I don't like is full ashtrays (particularly when the butts are swimming in liquid) and for some strange reason speaking to someone who has just had a smoke.

But that was me not that long ago and again I try and be respectful and not make it obvious.

Flea and DogMan like this.
  11. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Do they let you wear Budgie smugglers in prison? :shrug:

I don't go near ashtrays now, smokers breath is pretty bad, sometimes I have to tell my wife to go have a drink or something...

Gasman and Flea like this.
  12. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

I hate ash trays as well, its just the fact its mess sitting there, more than anything in my case
    I do the upside down teracota flower pot on its tray then all the mess is hidden and i dont stress then:p

Gasman, Flea and DogMan like this.
  13. Flea

Flea Senior Member

The hard part in prision is keeping the Budgies on, when you bend over to pick up the soap.

Gasman and Noe like this.
  14. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

I dont treat them any different to anyone else as i to still indulge in a puff occasionally ,when i first stopped it was really strong and annoying sometimes and still is but i think well i know i am better off than you are so it is their choice ive told heaps to try theold vape but so far i have a zero score

Flea likes this.
  15. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Safety first.

Always lift with your legs and not your back.

Preferably whilst in a corner with your back to the wall.
    Better still don't drop the soap.

Deadonarrival and Flea like this.
  16. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Thanks Gman.
    Are you speaking from experiance ?

Gasman likes this.
  17. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have dropped soap but I've always been alone and extremely safe.
    The worst that's happened to me is I've whacked my posterior on the shower panel resulting in head injuries due to falling shampoos etc.

The occasional foul word may have been also uttered.

Edit...
    Just noticed that was a bit cryptic.
    At home and not at her majesty's pleasure!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Deadonarrival and Flea like this.
  18. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Thanks for the honest reply, Gman.

Deadonarrival and Gasman like this.
  19. DogMan

DogMan Yes

Some knob head mining magnate is pushing to raise the minimum legal smoking age.

Because we all know 12 year olds have absolutely no access to tobacco now, and always wait for their 18th birthday to start

RC. and Pippi like this.
  20. James P

James P Senior Member

The majority of ex-smokers dislike seeing smoking because it reminds them of something they used to both love and hate. Whether it evokes nostalgia or disgust, it's rarely an emotionally neutral experience.

I try hard not to react. There's something quasi-religious about the way non-smokers persecute smokers (usually while pretending to be protecting children), and it really gets my hackles up.

DogMan likes this.