Zeus Dual RTA by Geek Vape

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by MetalOz, May 30, 2018.

1. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I picked up the Zeus Dual RTA today from Victory Vape. I loved the original Zeus single coil which i thought was better than the OBS Engine Nano for flavour.

[​IMG]

The tank comes in the usual Geek Vape clam shell packaging, and consists of the tank, spare glass and a bag of extras (the typical orings, spare screws, a tri tool, 510 adapter, a 510 drop tip, a spare 810 DT and 2 braided coils .

[​IMG]

The juice fill ports are bigger than the single coil version which is an improvement as i thought they were too small on the original and didn't cater for bottles with larger nozzles.

The top cap fixes on with a 1/4 turn the same as the original Zeus which i really like.

[​IMG]

The Dual is a completely revised deck catering for a dual coil build. Like the original, it boasts a postless build deck and top airflow.
    The airflow has been revised slightly, and comes in from the top and down the sides to a single which angles up underneath the coils on the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building on the deck is pretty easy, and the post screws come in flat on the coils, so it won't distort the legs or shape of the coils on fused claptons or other flat/rectangular wire.

The base has a gold plated 510 pin which I doubt is adjustable, but i don't know why anyone would use a RTA on a mech mod anyways.

Wicking is pretty straight forward, and the wick slots are plenty big enough for the cotton needed for dual 3mm ID coils.

All in all this is a great tank with amazing flavour and an easy deck to build on. I wouldn't recommend coils bigger than 3mm ID as there isnt room to accomodate them. Airflow is very smooth, and angles up to hit the coils perfectly.
    Machining on the tank is great and the threading is very smooth.
    I would have liked to see a bubble glass come with the tank for extra capacity (and i personally lkke the look of bubble glass). The capacity of tbis is 4ml which is fine but as duals go through more juice, it would have been nice to maybe have the option of 5.5ml as well.

If you're thinking of upgrading you Zeus single coil, i would definitely recommend having a look at this tank.

[​IMG]

Cllours available are Stainless steel, black, gun metal and blue. I would have loved to see this in a gold, but

Noe and KayP like this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Thanks for the review, thorough and inspiring.

The atty seems like a good one.

KayP and MetalOz like this.
  3. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

Thanks @RC. It is a nice tank. I just put some alien coils in it tonight and am getting more flavour from them compared to the supplied braided coils.
    I also found out there is a bubble glass which can be bought separately that holds 5.5ml, so I'll be grabbing one of them soon too.

RC. likes this.
  4. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Thanks for the in-depth look and review MetalOz. I like dual coil atomisers, especially tanks, and I appreciate the shift in the industry towards making decent top airflow atomisers. I loved all the bottom airflow atomisers I bought but overtime press-fit parts become loose and/or o-rings degrade which leads to messy situations. I'm not a fan of that.

MetalOz likes this.
  5. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

Thanks @KayP I've bee really liking the top airflow tanks since i bought the OBS Nano. I usually have a tank in my pocket wherever I go, and a lot of the time I'm at concerts either working or as a spectator and get bumped around a bit. So top airflow units leak less and work best for me.
    I've never had an issue yet with press fit parts comjng loose, but it's probably just a matter of time.
    I mainly use single coil units, but of late I've been liking the flavour the duals produce, and with this tank it is pretty fool proof and because the air hits only the coil from the bottom I yhink it gives better flavour than the original Zeus. I'm still fine tuning my wicking and thinking sbout putting in 2.5mm ID coils next build as the deck has a small workspace due to the brackets where the airflow comes in wrap around a bit which restricts how close to the air intake you can position the coils. Overall there's no real major cons with thus one.

KayP likes this.
  6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Nice review @MetalOz .
    This & the Themis RTA by DigiFlavor (GeekVape's sister company) are near enough alike that they are the same design, the Themis though has a 5ml capacity.
    However if you can get the Zeus dual + bubble glass for the same price as a Themis, then it'd be worth considering which you like the look of best.
    Personally, I like the Themis' sleek, almost non-branded looks, over the Zeus' engraved & highly visible Zeus/Geek Vape logos (when comparing the black versions).
    I also am not a big fan of bubble glass, in my mind that is a point of weakness. If you drop the tank on its side the glass will take all the impact, where with straight glass if you drop the tank flat on its side, the impact is shared between metal & glass parts, so the risk of broken glass tank is reduced a little.

OBS has released the Engine V2 (dual coil) & I have one on its way to me, it should be here within the next week or two. I payed my own $ for this one but I'll be reviewing it still & comparing it to the Themis & original Engine.
    From what I have seen of it, it should be better than any other top fill, top airflow tank design around at present, in fact it is nearly exactly what I have been waiting to see in a RTA design for over 2 years. The only real thing it has different to what I imagined ia how the coils are held in place but the airflow design is what I think will make this the winner, if I am right this will produce more flavor than the Themis or Engine V1 or Zeus Dual or anything similar to those (I have seen a few other less well known brands with a similar TFTAF system), I hope I am (almost certain I will be).
    The only real concern I have with it is in what size inner dia fused clapton(my "basic" go to for flavor builds) coils will fit into the deck, if I can't fit 3.5mm coils into a dual deck then it's a big con for me, because anything smaller means higher maintenance & more frequent wick replacements. 4mm inner dia coils are better if they can fit, on any deck, the larger the inner dia, the more wick, the more wick, the less frequently you need to change the wicks before they become full of gunk.

Anyhow, enough derailing, nice review like I said but comparing dual coil RTAs to single coil RTAs isn't really a fair comparison. The dual coil RTA is nearly always goign to have more flavor production, unless you are comparing a modern single to a dual from a few years ago & even then soem duals from that period would still hold their own or be better for flavor but I'm sure you already know this :)

KayP and MetalOz like this.
  7. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

I was disappointed that the Zeus Dual didn't come with a bubble tank included, i lke the bubble tanks person a but agree that they would take most of the impact if dropped. Yhe bubble tanks are roughly $5 for the Zeus, making the tank and glass $47.
    The branding on the Zeus is not extreme, but very present. No more than OBS do with their tanks.
    I highly doubt the Zeus will fit fused claptons larger than 3mm ID unless using it in a single coil configuration (defeating the purpose of the tank), so that would definitely be a deal breaker for you.
    The only reason i was comparing the original Zeus with the dual was mainly to point out differences in the design, but agree that single and dual coil decks are apples and oranges.
    I'll be keen to read your review on the Engine v2, the bottom airflow design should really punch the flavour. I don't know if I'll buy one yet or not, as mounting the coils may prove problematic for me as i have shaky hands due to my MS, and the upside down 'telephone pole' style posts may be trickier than standard posts or postless decks.

8. Noe

Yeah re the branding thing, I agree, the Zeus branding is not over the top but I very much do prefer the way the Themis is branded & almost non existant, even when compared with the Engine.

I think you'd be fine with it, it is just 1 side (leg) of each coil that is going to be a bit of a bother but that is easily negated IMO simply by leavign the leg long enough to bend back over the post & hold itself in place while you tighten it.
    If your MS makes that difficult still, then you could do the same to both legs of each coil, first positioning the coil to the right height with a rod through the coil & using a pair of pliers to bend one leg over the post, then tightening that leg & the next leg repeat. It's a little more involved but nothing too difficult to accomplish I would have thought, however I don't suffer from MS, so you'll know yourself if that sounds feasible.
    Still you should probably hold off until I report on it, I will do a pre-review/first impression post if you want, after I have run a tank of juice through it at least.

MetalOz likes this.
  9. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

I also like the cleaner look on a tank. I think that was part of ghe appeal for me with the Ammit Dual.

I'll definitely be looking out for your review on the Engine v2. There will definitely be a work around for building on the deck. The MS has it's good and bad days, luckily i have more good than bad, but can still be a little shakey at times. Bending the legs sounds like the way to go indeed,

Noe likes this.
  10. KayP

KayP Senior Member

There is another top airflow tank which has been around for a while, and has garnered some attention as being good: Juggerknot by QP Designs. It is pricey though, Can$100 and shipping on top of that.

MetalOz and Noe like this.
  11. Noe

Just watched MikeVapes review of that one, he likes it but after looking at it I think it is quite ugly looking, although it does have ultem bubble tank section, which would be better than glass bubble tank. Still for that price I could grab 3x OBS Engine V2's & have change...
    I'm not convinced its that much better then the OBS Engine V1, going by Mike's review.

MetalOz likes this.
  12. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Off topic, but I hope it gets through.

@KayP . I believe it was you that told me once you could buy PG from a chemist just South of Robina town center?
    The one with the good looking female staff. :)

I went to the one in the shopping centre South of the Town Centre and a young male didn't have a clue?
    He checked his PC and said "Uh Uhmmm, No".

So I went to my usual Compound Chemist in Merrimac and ordered one litre each of VG & PG.
    Cost me $111 for the lot. On the plus side I didn't have to pay postage.

Did I go to the right Chemist, in the shopping centre, just South of the the Town Centre ?

13. Noe

Whoa!
    $111 total for a liter of each?
    You could get twice that shipped from online for that price.

MetalOz and Flea like this.
  14. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

Yeah i nearly fell off my seat when i saw that price :geek:

15. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Thanks, Noe. I do agree.

But I had ordered it in advance, so I paid up.
    It's also why I asked KP's advice.

16. Noe

I think this guy got @Flea 's post as a memo & had the same reaction:

[​IMG]

MetalOz and Flea like this.
  17. Flea

Flea Senior Member

At least I've got 500ml of 18mg mixed and steeping at the moment,
    plus enough to last me another year or two. :p

MetalOz and Noe like this.
  18. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

:rofl:

Flea likes this.
  19. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Mr. MozOet, I'm glad your happy. :p

MetalOz likes this.
  20. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Nope, wasn't me Flea. I have only bought VG and PG once, which was through Super Vape Store's website. I've yet to try the PG so I can't comment on the quality.

So, did you get to meet the good looking female staff? Could be worthwhile of a trip just for that :)

Flea likes this.